Upon closer inspection, ants had completely invaded the entire interior of the camera-trap. We spent a good hour opening up the camera, unscrewing screws, cleaning it out, and putting it back together.
We completed our "Camera-Trap Surgery" in the field as we swatted away maybe 25 mosquitoes and picked off ticks of our legs. The ants had made an entire food storage type of room in the camera along with an egg holding cell. It was rough, but we managed to save the camera and found that no electrical components had been badly damaged.
We checked the SD card on a laptop in the field as well, but only found a few pictures of a red fox and raccoons.
But hey, you can't win with bears, coyotes, and other "crowd pleasers" every day. It was still a good day out on the trails, and I thank him greatly for helping me today.