Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Who Will Eat Pawpaw Fruit?

Pawpaw trees are fruiting now in Virginia.  In case you didn't know, a pawpaw is a tree that is common in Virginia's stream valleys and on riverbanks.  It's a tree that produces a fruit that raccoons, bears, and foxes eat.  People that eat the pawpaw fruit usually compare it to a banana and a pear, but I disagree and do not enjoy eating them.  It's texture is too mealy for me and I could do without the hard seeds inside of the fruit.

Pawpaw Fruit

 

Since the animals eat the fruit, I figured it would be a good idea to put a camera under some of the pawpaw trees along the riverbank in Fairfax County.

We'll see who eats  pawpaw in the next week or so.

2 comments:

  1. I've actually never tried eating pawpaw, but wouldn't mind trying it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have eaten them. I likened them to a cross b/w a banana and a mango. The seeds are big. I made bread with them by subsituting banana for the paw paw. It was actually good.

    ReplyDelete