Tuesday, February 5, 2013

'Coon Closeups

I got a little too close to the animal on this set, although, I did get some decent results.

An old, hollowed out tree was the scene.  It was a perfect ramshackle shack for a few resident raccoons.



Here's a curious one.  That vertical tree right there is tough to see but it's very hollowed out.

The hole is at the bottom of the tree and goes up to a little above where the raccoon is in the picture.

I put another camera on the inside of the tree through this hole and had a pretty good idea that i would get some videos of raccoons messing with my camera.


I was correct in thinking this!  

The raccoons not only played with my camera, but also gnawed on a chain that it was connected to, defecated on the entire camera, and tried to work open the small padlock on it. 

Here is what a "Coon Closeup" looks like from inside their home.
I'm not going to show you any video of a pooping raccoon, so you'll have to visualize that yourself if you want to. 

But anyway, here is another video of one wondering why there is a camera in its home.


I took the cameras down from this set a bit ago until I can find out a better way to diffuse the infrared flashes.   I could also try to move the camera from the inside to make it higher, so that the raccoons are farther away from it. 

Either way, it wasn't a terrible set for camera trapping and I was glad to prove to myself that there were in fact, raccoons living in this tree.



2 comments:

  1. What's up with the video quality? That's too bad it looks like that. Also, I would've enjoyed seeing the poop video! Comical, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the video quality took a bad turn when I uploaded them to blogger. The video isn't too bad at all normally when I view it alone from my file (except for the obvious washed out image of a raccoon caught in the bright IR flash).

      Delete