Wednesday, August 20, 2014

CarpCam

I've been fiddling with some GoPro action cameras lately and had the idea of mixing a little GoPro camera technology with camera-trapping underwater for some fish.  Results have turned out fantastic so far, but I still need to hone my skills with lighting and other options on GoPro cameras.

For those of you that are wondering what a GoPro camera is, here's a little explanation.  GoPro cameras are waterproof, action cameras that a lot of adventure sportsmen use.  You can attach them to kayaks, bike helmets, and cars.  

Me though, I'm using them for my wildlife camera projects.  I'll be putting them near animal dens, submerging them underwater, and hopefully turning some of them into remote sensored camera-traps.

Here's one of my favorite underwater videos so far that I took.  The fish are carp in the Potomac River in Maryland.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if you followed my blog at this point, but the summer of 2012 I interned for USFWS in Alaska. The whole basis of my work was using an underwater video recording mechanism that essentially worked the same as a camera trap. Instead of me sitting on the weir counting fish manually, I could visit the weatherport right nex to the river, and call up all recorded video of passing fish. I then counted them, sexed them, and tried to figure out species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun, and yeah I'm pretty sure I've read that blog post before. Would you be able to link it on a comment below this? Thanks, Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete