Wednesday, October 23, 2013

1 Year Of Camera-Trapping

It's been a great year of camera-trapping.   That's right, on this date last year, I started putting up cameras in the woods.

The first real pictures I got were just of deer, but hey, those pictures were the start of something great.

Camera-trapping has taught me many things about everything.  With the ridiculous amounts of cameras that I now use, I have been able to write grants, receive grants, attain federal, state, and local permits regarding wildlife, and have been in magazines and newspapers.   I've also done a bit of community outreach by speaking in public schools about the importance of natural resource protection and the methods used to survey wildlife.

Another big part of this is the volunteers and helpers that come along with me, pulling SD cards out of cameras, jotting down notes, and helping with general camera-trap work.  There have been a whopping 38 volunteers who do this with me and I couldn't have done it all without them.

The best is yet to come.  Thanks for being a part of the excitement!





6 comments:

  1. Keep up the work man ... and feel free to pass on any extra grant money to us West Coasters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think I'm much of a "sharer" when it comes to grant money, but I'll keep you in mind.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it would violate the terms of the grant anyways. But keep getting that money.

      Delete
  2. What haven't you 'trapped yet and you want to? Still on the hunt for flyers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, on the top of my list for what I haven't trapped yet is flyers (even though I have many pictures of "could be flyers"), 2 piebald deer that I see fairly often on my drives to work, and of course the eastern cougar. Wish me luck on that eastern cougar, I'm going to need it.

      Delete
    2. Also, thanks for the comments and interest. Your blog is an inspiration and I appreciate everything in the past year.

      Delete